We LOVE shortbread! When it’s homemade, it’s so tender, buttery, and satisfying. Perfect with a cup of tea! A huge bonus? It’s super easy to make, with inexpensive and simple ingredients you probably already have at home. Read on to find out how.
Cream some butter, powdered sugar, granulated sugar, and salt.
When it’s evenly pressed into your pan, prick the tops with a fork and try to ignore your trypophobia. (DON’T GOOGLE THAT TERM. EVER. SERIOUSLY.) I changed my mind at this stage and decided to use three mini-cake pans so my shortbread would be luscious and thick. You could also double the recipe below and press it into the 8 x 8 pan that it calls for. Or you could just follow the directions exactly and enjoy your skinnier shortbread bars 😉
Recipe adapted from PopSugar.
10 tablespoons (5 ounces) unsalted butter, at room temperature
1/4 cup (1 ounce) powdered sugar
1-1/2 tablespoons granulated sugar, plus more for sprinkling
3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
1/4 cup (1 ounce) cornstarch
1-1/4 cups (6-1/2 ounces) all-purpose flour
- Preheat the oven to 300ºF.
- Mix the cornstarch and flour.
- In a separate bowl, cream the butter, both kinds of sugars and salt until light and fluffy.
- Add the cornstarch/flour mixture in three additions to the creamed butter mixture, scraping down the bowl between each addition. Mix JUST until a crumbly dough forms. Don’t overmix.
- Press the dough evenly into an 8-by-8-inch square pan (double the recipe or use a smaller pan for thicker shortbread).
- Use a fork to prick the dough all over. Sprinkle the top with sugar and gently pat it in.
- Bake for 45 to 50 minutes, or until the edges of the shortbread just begin to brown. Don’t overbake.
- Allow to cool for about 20 minutes, then cut into bars. Cool completely before transferring to serving dish or storage container.
We STRONGLY urge you to make this recipe and keep in your regular rotation, because it’s a classic that is so super easy and delicious. It also keeps amazingly well, which is just one reason why WE LOVE THIS STUFF!