We LOVE all-natural DIY beauty products! Today I’m going to show you how to make a lip scrub at home. I gave these away for Christmas as part of a lip duo along with the handmade lip balm we shared here back in December.
Read on to find out how to make this moisturizing (and yummy) lip exfoliant yourself in only 3 steps! (Bonus: you only need 2 ingredients!)
This was inspired by a ton of different sources online. In the end, I just decided to start with equal parts coconut oil and brown sugar and make adjustments if needed, but I ended up not needing any.
- Brown sugar
- Coconut oil
- Essential oil (optional, but read warning below if you opt in*)
- Containers of your choice
- Measure the desired amount of coconut oil into a microwave-safe container, and liquefy by heating in the microwave for 30-second intervals, stirring each time. If the liquefied oil is hot to the touch, allow to cool a bit before moving on to the next step. You don’t want the brown sugar to dissolve when you mix it in.
- Add an equal amount of brown sugar to the liquefied oil. Add essential oil, if using. Stir until the ingredients are thoroughly mixed, using hands to “knead” it if necessary. *WARNING: Be sure to research which essential oils are safe to apply topically. Avoid anything irritating or phototoxic. Also, some oils aren’t safe for children or pregnant women, so please do your homework or just err on the side of caution and skip the essential oils! This will work perfectly fine without the added fragrance, especially because brown sugar already smells and tastes delicious, and coconut oil is pretty much neutral.
- Transfer the mixture to containers.
It’s also nice to include directions, if you’re making these as gifts. Here’s what mine said: “Apply brown sugar scrub to lips and massage gently. Leave on for a few minutes, then rinse with warm water or remove with a wet washcloth. Follow with lip balm. Smooches optional.”